Senior Policy Officer (VPS5) – IBAC
- Exciting Legal Policy Opportunity
- Be part of a small dynamic team making a difference
- Values driven, energetic & flexible work environment
About the Organisation
IBAC’s work is challenging and rewarding – they expose public sector corruption and police misconduct and they’re serious issues.
IBAC’s vision and reason for being is the number one reason team members join and stay at IBAC. A Victorian public sector that actively resists corruption is something we whole-heartedly believe in and work towards. Our dedication to fairness and natural justice is clear and tangible.
IBAC expect their people to work with sensitive information confidentially and respectfully. They understand that to foster a corruption-resistant public sector, IBAC’s workplace must be built on integrity.
The Legal, Assessment, Reviews and Compliance (LARC) Division is responsible for providing a range of operational and support services to enable IBAC to expose and prevent and prevent corruption including to determine complaints, assess public interest disclosures and review public sector and police investigations.
An anti-corruption agency isn’t for everyone. IBAC is looking for people who are:
- courageous and up for a true challenge
- patient and professional with real staying-power
- flexible but with a measured and fair approach
- trustworthy with a keen sense of duty
About the Role:
Putting the spotlight on potentially corrupt behaviour can reveal sensitive information, information you will be trusted to work with confidentially and respectfully. It’s not the kind of job you can go home and tell your friends or family about but the work is interesting, stimulating and incredibly rewarding.
The Legal and Compliance teams provide legal and compliance advice to the Commissioner and across the organisation, in particular to the Operations Division and the Assessments & Reviews team.
The Senior Legal Policy Officer will be responsible for:
- preparing organisational responses to legislative reviews,Cabinet Submissions and law reform projects
- supporting the Strategic Policy and Legislation Manager in the development of requests for legislative amendment
- assisting IBAC in the implementation of legislative changes that impact on IBAC’s policies and procedures
- reviewing, drafting and ensuring that internal LARC or other legal policy or template documents (policies, procedures and guidelines) are of high quality and fit for purpose through consultation with internal stakeholders and subject matter experts
- managing IBAC’s delegation obligations and undertaking routine reviews and updating where appropriate
- assessing policy needs and identifying and pursuing consolidation opportunities where possible.
The incumbent requires:
- Bachelor of Law or equivalent legal qualification from a recognised tertiary institution.
- Admission to practice as an Australian Lawyer (or eligibility to gain admission).
- Current practising certificate under the Legal Profession Uniform Law (or eligibility to obtain a practising certificate).
- Experience in legal policy development, preparing submissions for, and responses to reviews on, legislative reform and Cabinet Submissions.
- Demonstrated experience in complex legal and policy research and analysis including statutory interpretation.
- High level conceptual and analytical skills, legislative interpretation, policy and reseach skills, particularly in relation to complex legislation and policy development.
- Demonstrated expertise in internal policy development, with a deep understanding of policy development concepts and implementation processes.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please obtain a candidate information pack by visiting https://www.sladegroup.com.au/candidates/ibac/